The Delta GEMS logo is likened to a gemologist who can see through the use of certain tools, the hidden treasure in unpolished jewels. Delta GEMS uses the polished jewels as a symbol of the many facets that shine and glow within our young African-American women.
Delta GEMS (Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully) (ages 14 – 18)
The Delta GEMS program is an extension of the Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy I program. The focus is on teenage girls between the ages of 14 – 18 or grades 9 – 12. It can be viewed as a road map for college and career planning and will instill in our young women the need to excel academically. Delta GEMS will provide tools and skills to equip our young women to attain a more productive quality of life. It will also assist the young ladies in proper goal setting and planning for future beyond high school and will, hopefully, create compassionate, caring, and community-minded young women by actively involving them in service learning and community service opportunities.
The Delta GEMS program is being conducted by the Metropolitan Dallas Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. The goal of the program is to develop strong, confident and respectful young ladies and prepare them to take an active role in their success and society.
The Delta GEMS is designed for:
- Young women who have potential, but need guidance, support and skills to achieve success
- Young women who are interested in developing leadership skills
- Young women who are actively pursuing college/and or career options
- Young women who need encouragement and support in pursuit of higher learning
- Young women identified by schools, churches, youth groups and/or former Delta Academy participants
The objective of the Delta GEMS committee is to serve as a motivational tool targeting African American female teenagers resulting in an increased knowledge and awareness of issues and concerns affecting women today. The objectives and goals of the Delta GEMS committee will be accomplished through workshops on:
- Scholarship (Academic Excellence)
- Sisterhood (Self Esteem, Health Awareness and Leadership)
- Showing Me the Money (Financial Awareness)
- Service (Social Responsibility Obtained through Community Service)
THE DEADLINE TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DELTA GEMS PROGRAM FOR THE 2015-2016 YEAR IS SATURDAY, September 19, 2015. Please make sure you bring your completed application, including the appendices to the Kick-Off/Orientation Meeting on Saturday, September 19th at 1p.m.